Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Halloween Sugar Cookies

I LOVE HALLOWEEN! (I know, this post is 5 months late. I'm a little behind.) I love the costumes, the candy, the idea of disguising yourself and becoming someone else, however fanciful, for a night. Oh, and did I mention that I love the cookies? Every year I make Halloween sugar cookies, because the first set of cookie cutouts I got are Halloween themed. Every year, if I must say so myself, my technique gets better and better!


I have been using the same recipe for years, because I have tested a few and deemed this one the very best.

The recipe is The Best Rolled Sugar Cookie recipe at Allrecipes, courtesy of Jill Saunders.  I have tried using Royal Icing, because it is what all the cookie bloggers recommend, and it seems to be easiest to work with, but the taste really doesn't compare to MY recipe.

You can find my (well, technically it's not mine) recipe for icing here

I have been reading up on my flogs, and have been eyeing the gorgeous cookies made by quite a few people, like The Decorated Cookie and The Vanilla Bean Baker.  I have been reading about the techniques they use, and have implemented the following changes:

1.  Instead of pastry bags, I use squeeze bottles.
2.  I separated all my cookies into piles, and make note of which colors I will need for each.
3.  For each color, I will need an "outline color" and a "flood color".
4.  I make a batch of icing for one color, and keep it very thick.  I outline the cookies with half of the batch (that is usually enough) and set the remainder of that color aside and continue to do the same with all the other outline colors.
5.  After all the outlines are dry,  I add about 1 tsp of almond extract to the remaining bowls of icing in order to thin them out.
6.  I put some dollops of flood icing (the thinner batch) on each cookie (one at a time, obviously), and fill in the empty areas with a toothpick.  This is when you want to add sprinkles.
7.  Once they are all done, I usually stick the trays in the fridge for a while or overnight.
8.  Then you can add the finishing touches with extra icing or an edible ink pen!


No comments:

Post a Comment