Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Homemade Pizzas!

I saw this recipe on Smitten Kitchen for Lemony Zucchini Goat Cheese Pizza, and I absolutely HAD to try it. I am just rabid for goat cheese, and I have (well, had, I will get to that in a later post) plenty of zucchini on hand from my backyard garden. I tweaked the recipe a little bit, added some fresh basil and tomatoes from my Mom and Dad's garden, as well as a bunch of spinach. I used garlic-herb goat cheese instead of plain for a little extra flavor.

The ingredients

The bf had an unfortunate pizza crust incident; instead of unrolling it when he opened the tube, he just grabbed it in a clump. He tried to smoosh it out with his hands, then a rolling pin, then used his hands some more. I thought maybe he should try throwing it around in the air like those cliche images of the pizza chef. I never would have thought it could be so difficult to roll out store-bought dough! That stuff is elastic! Every time he flattened it out, it just bounced right back into a ball. Anyway, after a ton of hard work, eventually he got it into a shape that was resembling a pizza, albeit a smaller one than originally intended. He put a small amount of tomato sauce, some spinach, some shredded mozzarella, and some grilled chicken on his pizza.

The bf's pizza, before cooking

My pizza, half topped, before cooking

What a fantastic and delicious recipe! It was easy to make and also fun to put everything together. The possibilities are endless! Maybe some eggplant and mushrooms next time, but really, it was perfect as it was! YUM!!!!

The bf's pizza, post-cooking, ready to nom!

My pizza, post cooking

Time to nom!

The ready-made crust was not my favorite crust ever, but I liked it because it was easy as well as large. Next time I would try a different type of crust, just to see what is out there. I looked forward to making pizzas all day, and think that, from now on, this will be a reoccurring event in my house. Such fun, and creative and healthy too! I give this recipe 5 stars, and highly recommend that everyone try it.

1 comment:

  1. Andrew and I made that lemony zucchini pizza too after seeing it on SK! It's yummy for sure! I have to recommend (heartily) making your own dough. Easier than you'd ever think. I've been expirimenting with a couple recipes and found a pretty fool proof one last time. I'll send you the info if you want it (I'm pretty sure it's from www.thekitchn.com - their thin-crust dough). Yum!

    ReplyDelete