Monday, September 13, 2010

Delicious Noms of St. Louis


          After living in St. Louis for most of my life, I FINALLY had occasion to get myself to the renowned Gooey Louie's, and OMG, I was not disappointed!  It kind of seemed like whenever I drove by the store (which is A LOT) it was closed, so that contributes to my never having been there.  One day, I had the day off, was craving something sweet, and happened to notice a giant "Open" sign outside the store as I drove by.  So exciting!  I drove down the alley and parked in the back as the sign instructed.  
          When I walked into the store, I was a little confused.  The Gooey cakes were all set up in pretty displays along the walls, and I thought they were decorations, when in actuality those displays are what you choose from!  I was expecting a bakery counter, like every other pastry store I'd ever been in.  But, oh my, the flavors!  I couldn't pick just two, so I went ahead and got 4, even though there are still flavors that I know I want to try in the future (I'm talkin' to you, Key Lime!).


   OMG, do you see that cute tiny spoon!?!  I just adore it.  My particular favorite was the lemon, but the original was a close second.


         On another one of my days off, I just happened to go by Jilly's Cupcakes (or I deliberately drove straight there for no other reason than to get cupcakes, whatever).  As I stood at the counter deciding what to get, out comes a fresh warm tray of ridiculously tall Red Velvet cupcakes.  I was completely overwhelmed; THIS is what cupcakes are all about!  Holy moley.  I only let myself have 3 cupcakes because they are so gigantic: The Red Velvet, the Chocolate Thunder, and the Bee Sting.  Since I only ordered 3, they automatically threw in a free coffee cake to even out the box!  Now THAT is customer service!  These things are not just unbelievably delicious; they are works of art.



Twisted Red Velvet cake, caramel stuffing, and cream cheese and caramel buttercream and pecan praline

 Chocolate Thunder: chocolate cake filled with chocolate ganache, topped with chocolate & vanilla buttercream with white & dark chocolate shavings and bark

 The Bee Sting: Vanilla cake filled with honey-lemon curd, topped with lemon cream cheese, toasted almonds and a lemon candy dust- MY PERSONAL FAVORITE

Coffee Cake

I recommend both places heartily; Jilly's actually serves food as well as cupcakes, I can't wait to go back for a special occasion!  I guarantee you will not be let down at either, so have fun and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. You totes made me LOL for REAL!! heehee. Nunisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love. I would give my leg for a gooey cake right now. I actually just come to St.Louis for those, not just my profound love for you.
    yummmmmm

    ReplyDelete