Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Homemade Pumpkin Dog Treats

We wouldn't want to be Doggist and leave the doggie out of the fun, would we now?  Newman is the BF's Boston Terrier, I call him my step-child.  Poor Mr. Newman is a very good boy, but he has, um, some digestive issues.  Let's just say he doesn't smell so great sometimes.  I  heard that pumpkin can be soothing to a doggie's tummy, so for Christmas, I decided to make him some of his very own, made with love, Pumpkin Doggie Biscuits.  I found this fantastic recipe at Simmer Till Done, a fantastic blog about foodie life.   


There are some healthy things in there for your doggie's tummy, like rice flour (many dogs can't tolerate wheat) and pumpkin.  Not too many ingredients, although there are about a million dog-biscuit recipes on the web.  One silly thing I did though (don't make the same mistake!)- I forgot that eggs were an ingredient, and I forgot to refrigerate the biscuits, so they all got moldy and had to be thrown out. 

While I was cooking these, trying to keep it a secret from the BF, Newman kept coming into the kitchen to see what I was doing (all the animals love it when I'm in the kitchen).  When these were done, I gave one to him.  He took it very tentatively, then spit it on the floor.  Luckily, he decided he DID want it, so he grabbed it back up and took off for his doggie bed, where he likes to eat his treats.  Guess who is back in the kitchen in 10 seconds?  That's right, I guess he developed a taste for them!  Make sure to keep them refrigerated!

1 comment:

  1. I love pumpkin treats and eat them every day. Yum!!

    Lancelot

    ReplyDelete