Thursday, March 4, 2010

My "Woooo, Go Saints Party"

The BF decided to invite a couple of his friends over for the Superbowl a few weeks ago, giving me the perfect opportunity to make a smorgasboard of sweets and dips.  I made some "Best Veggie Dip Ever" from the Food Processor Bible (which I didn't happen to think was THAT impressive), some guacamole from the same book, which was delish, even though I added an entire extra lime, and some tasty plain-old onion dip.  There were chips and veggies galore, and then we ordered pizza and wings!  Total excuse for a pig-out fest.  For dessert, I decided to make some cupcakes decorated with footballs and the Saint's logo.  I was excited about using my new decorating tips to make the green around the footballs look like grass, but the icing recipe I used was too thin, so I had to make do with flat turf.

I didn't include a pic of the Saint's logo cupcakes because they were kinda hideous!  They were most definitely mocked.  Apparently they looked like sickles, or some flag, or something to do with pirates.



For the cupcake recipe, I used Magnolia Bakery's signature Vanilla Cupcakes, recipe found at Cupcakes Take the Cake, an amazingly delicious-looking, creative, and informative flog.  Easy enough recipe, and oh-so-yummy!  The BF and I couldn't stop munching on these, plain, straight out of the oven.  They would have been delectable even without icing.  Because I had recently made cupcakes with buttercream icing, and because I love cream cheese, I went with a cream-cheese frosting of unknown origin.  Like I said, it was a little thin, even with extra added powdered sugar, but still incredibly tasty.  I think that perhaps the icing-cupcake combination was not the best; next time, because this cupcake recipe is so outstanding, I would use just a simple glaze, or go full-out on piled-up buttercream.  To next time!

I also wanted to surprise the BF and his buddies with some Bakerella Football-Shaped (my own idea!) Cakepops.  I followed all the directions for regular cakepops (man, those things get messy), except I rolled them into the shapes of footballs!  After the melted chocolate cooled, I piped on some white chocolate football stitching.  They turned out pretty good!  I was proud.


Go Saints!

No comments:

Post a Comment