Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Alton Brown's Protein Bars


I just love that Alton Brown and his show "Good Eats". He is not just showing you how to put ingredients together, but giving you scientific information on properties of said ingredients, as well as neat and handy tips for making kitchen life easier. The other night on Good Eats was a rerun about granola bars and protein bars, and I thought we should try out one of the recipes.



These were one of the messiest treats I have ever made! One plus of this recipe is that it is not actually necessary to use a stand mixer. Another cool thing is that it exposed me to all sorts of things that I had never used before, like soy protein powder, wheat germ, and tofu. We used the leftover tofu to make a smoothie. Yum!

When these bars first came out of the oven, I tried some pieces that had crumbled off and thought them rather cakey, more like a dessert than a bar. After they had been refrigerated though, they became more dense, and I must say that I am completely addicted! I will definitely be making these again, they were delicious!

1 comment:

  1. mmm...so yummy!! I ate all the lemon tart, it was sooo good too!!

    ReplyDelete